Home › Forums › Once Upon a Time › General discussion and theories › The Captain Swan thread! › Reply To: The Captain Swan thread!
LOL- just saw this (edited for one none postable word):
9 Reasons to Start Watching “Once Upon a Time”
Did you have any idea that Captain Hook was that hot?
In the three seasons it’s been on the air, Once Upon a Time has gained a reputation for being a cheesy, family-oriented show. While that characterization is not inaccurate, it leaves out some of the best aspects of the show — namely, that it’s possibly the most bat*poop* insane series on TV (especially now that True Blood has gone back into the coffin for good). Consider that one time a guy actually turned into a man-size wooden puppet, and everybody on Once was just like, “Yep, that’s how it is here.” Sure, the guy was Pinocchio, but it was still weird and slightly uncomfortable. On the occasion of Frozen coming to Once — aka the reason it’s suddenly in the news all the time — here’s a list of reasons to start watching the best/worst fairy-tale show ever made. Spoiler alert, obviously, but know that nothing could ever truly spoil the ~*mAgiC*~ of Once.
1. The romance, which is literally fairy-tale. The ongoing saga between Snow White and Prince Charming is a million times more romantic than it was in the animated one, because they almost get permanently separated from each other nearly every other episode. And don’t even get me started on the blossoming love between Emma and Captain Hook, or you will need to send me tissues through the Internet and that’s not a thing yet.
2. Totally insane CGI. Most episodes of Once take place half in the real world, half in fairy-tale world. And fairy-tale world looks crazy. Imagine all of your favorite ’80s family movies, art-directed by drunk people who are also on acid. Now pretend you’re watching that with beer goggles on, and you have some idea of what the Enchanted Forest looks like. Sounds great, right?
3. Hot dudes. They are already dressed up as princes part of the time, so all the work of imagining them as your own personal saviors is done for you. Prince Charming, Prince Phillip, Pinocchio as a human, and a guy whose name is Bae — that is not a joke, it’s Bae — have all been lookers at one time or another on this show. And never, ever forget that before he was Christian Grey, Jamie Dornan was the Sheriff/Huntsman. I rest my case:
4. But more specifically, Captain Hook. Not since the early days of Johnny Depp has a man made such a convincing case for male eyeliner.
That chest hair though.
5. There are about a million badass female characters on it. Fairy tales have always been a little too damsel-in-distress for comfort, but that all goes away on Once, which does a great job updating them for a “Grown Woman” world. Snow White is a kickass warrior princess who saves the prince before he saves her. Red Riding Hood is the wolf. Mulan is there. Between those three and Emma, Regina, Belle, Ariel, Granny, Tinkerbell, and now Elsa, you will never be lacking for story lines involving cool women.