Before the season 6 premiere this Sunday, we wanted to share some of our final hopes, predictions and theories for the upcoming season of Once Upon a Time, as well as a quick rundown of what happened at the season 5 finale. Joining us for this special episode of sixth season hopes, predictions and spoilers is Heather Ordover from host of CraftLit, who is an expert with crafts and literature, particularly Jekyll and Hyde. We will also be sharing some last minute spoilers that we know so far before the new season starts.
Season 5 Review
As of last season, Belle is still inside Pandora’s box and Hyde has brought “everyone” with him and wants Storybrooke to be their new home, sold by Rumplestiltskin in exchange of a deal, of course. Regina’s Evil Queen side is also running around, and nearly everyone unimportant is back in the Enchanted Forest. Also, during the 5th season finale, we were introduced to the Land of the Untold Story, where Hyde came from, and a very Sci-Fi steampunk universe.
Season 6 Hopes
We may not get the split arcs like the previous seasons, but it would be nice to meet new characters while being introduced to one big story on top of that. So far, the only thing we know regarding the scheduling is that we’re going to have a definitive 3 episodes in a row, but it looks like we are going to get 8 episodes in a row before the Winter break, then about 2–4 episodes with little breaks in between.
With the new schedule and story arc plans, we also hope to see a more unified, gripping story, similar to season 1 storytelling where there’s a larger story arc. While it had its filler episodes here and there, the nice thing about season 1 is that it left you hanging. When they had the mid-season hiatus, it left you wondering what’s going to happen next. Season 1 is the most solid of all seasons, because with an overlying arc, you can bring as many characters as you want in to that world as long as they fit into that paradigm. It was also really cohesive but then they stumbled during the Neverland arc, however, it feels like it’s heading back to a more cohesive, tighter story.
We also hoped that season 6 will be less plot driven, and more character moments. One of the things that really troubles us in the last couple of seasons is that every episode is, somehow, plot driven. Because of these, we lose character moments that really sold the show to us back in season 1. These scenes of characters talking of having great conversations and in touch with their feelings and surroundings are the ones that end up being deleted and left for the DVDs. It would be nice if those came back in and have the plot mellowed out, or have the plot move along with great character development.
We may not know the show’s fate, but we hope that this will be the last season, and it being a solid, cohesive season that closes all the doors we have opened; for the show to end well and planned. Which is not to say that we wanted the show to end, but that it ends on a high note and not rushed. Although, with the story arc they’re going into, that doesn’t really set things up for an end game.
Finally, we hope to get big answers to big questions. There are still so many loose threads and unanswered questions from all the seasons. We would really like some nice, solid answers to these, a lot of which have something to do with their world building especially about how stories that are known to our world can be decades, if not centuries old, but have only just happened in the Enchanted Forest (eg; Snow White).
Season 6 Predictions and Theories
One of our predictions for season 6 is that Rumplestiltskin is going to die a hero, sacrificing his life and magic for Belle and their unborn child. It would be a nice shot at redemption to have him realize that that is the only way for him to be a good man for Belle and his second child is to give up everything.
Another thing that we are predicting for the upcoming season is that we’ll be seeing more Sci-Fi characters such as Captain Nemo. We’ve already seen Dr. Frankenstein, but it was in season 2 when they revealed that Dr. Whale is, in fact, Dr. Frankenstein and that he wasn’t in Henry’s story book and that there could be other stories somewhere else. It would be really nice to see more of him, even though David Anders, the actor who plays Dr. Whale, is in another show. Also, last season, we already saw Captain Nemo from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea in one of those books.
Some of the other steampunk characters that they could pull in, aside from Jekyll and Hyde of course, is the Count of Monte Cristo, and a lot of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen people. Regina is the perfect dual character, and she has been since the very first season because you didn’t know if she really was the Evil Queen until in “The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.” So for season 6, we would like to see them deal with the fact that she can’t just make the Evil Queen go away and things will be fine; she’s not a whole person and not as strong a person without her dark side. They’ve also done a good job making Snow White flawed and not the goody-two-shoes kind of Snow White that everyone knows.
As for Jekyll and Hyde, we think that the way we think it is, is that Dr. Jekyll rips out the bad, which is what creates Mr. Hyde. However, we think that it’s the other way around; Mr. Hyde is the “real” person and he wanted to rip out his good side for good, making it Dr. Jekyll. Perhaps the good side of him was getting in the way of what he wanted to do, so he wanted to rip it out of him for good. It could also still be that Dr. Jekyll is the “real” person who has a desire to do good but he finds himself continuously doin bad, so he tries to experimented to bring out the good in him, but what it ends up doing is bringing out the other side. Very much like Regina and the Evil Queen, every time she tries to do something good, it seems to be bouncing back on her. It would be interesting to see them deal with the fall out from that, and see Regina and the Evil Queen parallel from Jekyll and Hyde.
By the series end, if this is going to be the final season, we are predicting that there would be some connection between Storybrooke and the Enchanted Forest to be made so that people can come and go as they please, perhaps using Emma’s Savior magic. Both places have things we love, we don’t want to see the characters sacrifice one of those places for their happily ever after.
Thank you for supporting us!
- Lisa Slack
- David Neuland
- Aimee Catalier
- DJ Firewolf
- Jill Sherrod
- Greg Shope
- Erin Nunnally
- Maryann Livoti
- 28 heros on Patreon
Another theory that we have for a really long time is that Emma will be married and the series will end with her giving birth to a baby girl as an homage to how it started, only this time, the baby won’t be sent to another world. Especially since Kitsis and Horowitz said that they both know how the series will end, and they’ve made several parallels between Lost and Once Upon a Time, it wouldn’t be surprising to see them do it with Once Upon a Time, too. It would also be nice if the series will end with a book closing with Henry saying “and they lived happily ever after.”
Speaking of meta, another of our theory is that Henry will take over as the new CEO of Disney. That sounds ridiculous at first, but keep in mind they have referenced Walt Disney as one of the authors back in season 4.
Finally, the interesting thing about Treasure Island is that by the end of the book, Long John Silver has been the bad guy bad, but he was also, for the beginning of the book, the only guy who was helping poor Jim Hawkins. Long John Silver was the one with squishy morals and by the very end there’s a moment when you get to decide whether it’s a real redemption or not. Jekyll and Hyde have an interesting correlation to that in that even after the split, you can start to see that Jekyll isn’t 100% good and Hyde isn’t as bad, but what Hyde has going for him that is dangerous is his affinity for chaos. When he decides to kill someone, it’s random and really violent.
Thank you for the podcast reviews!
Your reviews encourage us and help others find the podcast!
Please rate and especially write a review for us in iTunes.
The other thing about Jekyll and Hyde is that it’s not a very long book, so it’s going to be really interesting how they can bring it in to Once Upon a Time whether Hyde will be the season villain or just a step along the way, a plot to help set up the next story along. Check out CraftLit Podcast if you want to know more about Jekyll and Hyde!
What are your hopes, predictions and theories about the next season? Share them all off using the comment section below or head over the forum to discuss your theories and other spoilers about what’s coming next.
Once Upon a Time will be back for season 6 this coming Sunday, September 25 at 8/7c but prior to the season 6 premiere, ABC will also air a special episode an hour earlier entitled, “Evil Reigns Once More,” featuring our heroes’ epic journey through the past five seasons, with Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz discussing what has transpired and what is upcoming.
What did you think?
- Email Feedback@ONCEpodcast.com (audio files welcome)
- Call (903) 231-2221
- Comment on the shownotes
- Post in the forums
- Visit any page on ONCEpodcast.com and click the "Send a voice message" link to record and send a message right from your computer.
Help us out!
- Share this post in your social networks
- Subscribe and leave a rating and review in iTunes
- Shop using our Amazon.com affiliate link
- Sponsor an episode
- On Facebook:
- On Twitter: Follow @ONCEpodcast
- Daniel J. Lewis: Follow @theDanielJLewis
- Jeremy Laughlin: Follow @phlegon
- ErinJ: Follow @erinjcruz
- Hunter Hathaway: Follow @travelingpixie
- Jacquelyn / RumplesGirl: Follow @punk_bunny_87
- Find and follow all the Once Upon a Time cast and crew on Twitter.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
- For season 6, Regina will learn quickly that destroying her dark side won’t be that easy
- Emma also learns a life-altering secret that could have serious consequences for her family and loved ones.
- Meanwhile, Henry pledges to help the new arrivals from the Land of Untold Stories complete their tales
- And after handing Storybrooke over to Mr. Hyde, Mr. Gold continues his quest to wake Belle from her self-induced sleeping curse, in hopes of reuniting with both her and their unborn child.
- In the season premiere episode, “The Savior,” as our heroes set out to stop Hyde, Emma develops a mysterious side effect
- Storybrooke becomes a haven for refugees from the Land of Untold Stories
- Meanwhile, Regina and Zelena embrace their newfound sisterhood by becoming roommates
- Rumple tries to free Belle from the sleeping Curse with the help of a stranger
- In flashback, Jafar confronts an afflicted Aladdin in Agrabah, and a secret about the Savior is revealed.
- “The Savior” was written by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz directed by Eagle Egilsson.
- Guest starring are Raphael Sbarge as Archie Hopper/Jiminy Cricket, Beverley Elliott as Granny, Oded Fehr as Jafar, Deniz Akdeniz as Aladdin, Tarun Keram as Emir, Peter Marcin as Chief, Farris Tyab, Jordan Ashley Olson as Young Nurse/Oracle, Giles Matthey as Morpheus, Thomas Gasior as Musketeer #1, Ingrid Torrance as Nurse Ratchet, Hank Harris as Dr. Jekyll and Sam Witwer as Mr. Hyde.
- Both Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz both stated that this will be the same Jafar as the one in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, only with different actor
- The first promo is called “Untold Stories,” featuring Aladdin and Jasmine in what looked like the Cave of Wonders.
- It also looks like they are recreating a famous moment from the Disney verson of Aladdin, where Jasmine runs to Aladdin where he picks her up and twirl her around.
- The promo then flashes to Mr. Hyde in a cell with Emma asking “what’s coming and how do I stop it?” lunging at Emma afterwards.
- There was even one with Belle and Rumple dancing, but whether it’s a dream or a flashback is unknown
- The second promo is very short, entitled “Your Wish is Our Command,” which is more steampunk compared to the first promo.
- The last promo is called “War,” featuring the Evil Queen walking around
- Promotional pictures shows only one scene of the blimp crashing in the woods with Emma and the regulars with Archie and Pongo.
- First script tease shared by Adam Horowitz was a conversation between Emma and Regina
- Another script tease was of Snow White and Hook
- The third one is another conversation between Hook and Emma
- There was also one of Rumple and Belle
- Lastly, Horowitz shared one of Hyde and Emma
- Press screening for the season 6 premier took place yesterday and they have been saying that it was a really great episode, with CaptainSwan in the front and center, with lots of cool action, setting up a really great season
- “Snow’s history with Regina comes back to haunt her and Charming,” co-showrunner Adam Horowitz tells TVLine, “as a plan set in motion years ago by the Evil Queen comes to dangerous fruition in present-day Storybrooke.”
- What is an Untold Story? Kitsis told TVLine that “It is a story that has yet to play out. You’re going to see that a lot of people went to the Land of Untold Stories because they wanted to literally push “pause,” like they were watching their own life in TiVo.”
- According to TVLine, this season is going to be Savior-heavy, featuring other Saviors that have come before her, or including Agrabah street rat Aladdin.
- 6×02 “A Bitter Draught” written by Andrew Chambliss & Dana Horgan
- 6×03 “The Other Shoe” written by Jane Espenson & Jerome Schwartz
- 6×04 “Strange Case” written by David H. Goodman & Nelson Soler
- 6×05 “Street Rats” written by Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz, directed by Norman Buckley
- 6×06 “Dark Waters”written by Andrew Chambliss & Brigitte Hales6x07 “Heartless” written by Jane Espenson, possibly a Regina-Snow White centric episode, and also probably the end of the split personality arc
- 6×08 “I’ll Be Your Mirror” written by Jerome Schwartz & Leah Fong
- Leah Fong accidentally posted an Instagram photo, revealing that Belle is having a baby boy, but has been taken down immediately after
- Belle is coming out of the box by 6×01 and will be back in Storybrooke by about episode 5 or 6. We will also be learning more about her family in the process
- Morpheus is more invested in Belle and Rumple than we might imagine. Perhaps Morpheus is Belle and Rumple’s unborn child, ensuring his parent’s happily ever after and his own birth?
- Will Robin Hood return in season 6? “I’d say dead is dead,” Kitsis answered without skipping a beat, ETOnline reports.
- TV Guide also reports that “Emma will start keeping a “very, very big secret” from Hook in the premiere and it’s definitely going to put some stress and strain on their relationship, not to mention on Emma herself,” according to Eddy Kitsis
- We will be seeing more of Snow and Charming this year, particularly “Charming’s past becomes something very important to his future. We’re going to see him and Snow embarking on some adventure related to that past, and what that’s going to create for them moving forward, which is some unexpected obstacles to that happy ending they’re all trying to live,” according to Entertainment Weekly.
- TV Line predicts that one of the nine current series regulars will exit the show for good by February.
- Kitsis and Horowitz sat with Entertainment Weekly for a Hot Seat and were asked if there will be a time jump this season and Kitsis said, “not in the beginning.”
- Will we see some domestic Emma and Hook in their home together? Kitsis answered, “Uh huh” but Horowitz says “Maybe.”
- Will we see the chipped cup again? Yes.
- Can you really separate and destroy part of yourself? Kitsis said that it is “the question that needs to be answered. I would say that is the first run of episodes.”
- Will we see some Wonderland characters? Perhaps.
- As for casting news, Faran Tahir was cast as Captain Nemo; Jonny Coyne as Dr. Arthur Lydgate
- David Anders also returns as Dr. Whale, and Tim Phillipps will also be reprising his role as Cinderella’s prince, Prince Thomas/Sean Herman.
- One of the behind the scenes photos include Goldilocks and the Three Bears, wandering around Storybrooke
- Jasmine and Aladdin were also seen on-set, hanging out with Emma donning a red, floral dress.
- We also do see Belle and Rumple down by the docks
- There was also a photo of Snow and Charming in his farm for episode 7, without his wig
- Other shots include Zelena with baby Robin, Pongo, and a lot of the other actors waving into the camera