November 7, 2014 at 4:06 pm #289400PriceofMagicParticipant
@WickedRegal, my issues with present day OQ isn’t that Marian came back after being dead whilst Robin has moved on (you could feel sympathy in that case).
I dislike OQ because:
1. Marian came back after being murdered whilst Robin is dating her murderer.
2. Robin chose to be with Marian and yet is now claiming he doesn’t love her.
3. Robin has gone crawling back to Regina, professing his love for her, yet it wasn’t until Marian was frozen that he did so.
4. In that sneak peek Robin is very unfeeling towards Marian, almost as if he’d happily leave her frozen if Regina welcomed him back with open arms.
5. Regina deserves better than a man that makes her his second choice.
My issues with OQ aren’t actually to do with Regina (though the whole murdering Marian isn’t pretty), it’s all about Robin. Robin is actually becoming one of my least favourite characters on Once. Sean is very funny though, especially when he threw Robbie Kay under the bus when it came to singing. It is such a shame that his once decent character is being destroyed so much.
They should’ve actually spent time on Robin realising he doesn’t love Marian like he used to and then show him ending it with her amiably before he went running to Regina to profess his love. As it currently stands, it makes it look like he only went running back to Regina because his first choice didn’t work out for him. It makes him look like a bit of a douchebag.[adrotate group="5"]
All magic comes with a price!Keeper of FelixNovember 7, 2014 at 6:01 pm #289406KebParticipant
Incidentally, one thing they have shown us quite a few times is that true love has to be sacrificial. Parents dying so their kids can be happy/live etc. Every TLK we’ve seen has come in a moment when both parties have demonstrated a willingness to sacrifice for the other. Snow ate the apple to save Charming, he fought Maleficent to save her. Henry ate the turnover to stop Emma from eating it; she likewise faced Mal to save him. It’s hinted that Aurora’s going under the sleeping curse was in part to protect Phillip; he was willing to let the wraith take him to save her (and Mulan, for those who ship her and him). With Rumbelle, he was willing to let her out of a deal so she could have her freedom–thus losing both his maid and company he clearly enjoyed–and she was willing to give up her freedom to come back and try to save him from his curse. Regina was willing to sacrifice Henry’s even remembering her when she sent him with Emma, to save him from Pan’s curse–as well as willing to fight her sister and the flying monkeys etc to protect him. And we’ve seen him jump in to protect her, too. That’s why those kisses worked.
So Robin’s isn’t working because he won’t give up Regina for Marian; it’s a love failure but of a particular, sacrificial kind.
And Regina’s willingness to let go of Robin is a serious sign of growth for her. It’s a sacrifice for what she believes is his own good–she’s actually putting someone else ahead of herself for once (she has done it a few times now…but it’s hard for miss “nobody sits in my chair”).
Keeper of Belle's Gold magic, sand dollar, cloaks, purple FTL outfit, spell scroll, library key, copy of Romeo and Juliet, and cry-muffling pillow, Rumple's doll, overcoat, and strength, and The Timeline. My spreadsheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6r8CySCCWd9R0RUNm4xR3RhMEU/view?usp=sharingNovember 7, 2014 at 6:02 pm #289407WickedRegalParticipant
Cures To @POM’s OutlawQueen Issues! 🙂
1. Regina saved her life once, which made them even…well, she’s trying to save her life again also in the process of giving up her Soul Mate so technically…Marian in a way, owes her one now I guess.
2. Robin thought that he loved Marian, but he realized it’s only because she’s the mother of his child, nothing romantic anymore. Marian is now like a close friend of his I would say. Also he only went back to her because of his Code of Honor, something Regina respects and admires.
3. Robin never stopped loving Regina, he only went back to Marian because of his vow to her(someone explain Divorce Proceedings to Robin) I think he’d left Marian eventually because the whole Soul Mate Bond with Regina. #ThankGodForPixieDust&Fate
4. I don’t think he’s uncaring because Marian is still Roland’s mother, but I do believe that he feels that as soon as Marian wakes up, it’s going to be over. It’s like driving off a dead end road when you clearly saw the sign before hand….I think he came to the conclusion that he and Marian can never work like they used to….he’s with his soul mate now.
5. Again…it was Robin’s Code of Honor as Lana and Sean explained. The man’s never heard of divorce yet, so that’s why he went back to Marian. But he went back knowing that his heart still belonged to Regina, which is why he was so miserable.
And because of Once Upon A Frozen, we couldn’t see Robin cracking down like we would have had Disney told Adam and Eddy No. It’s like a dog leaving to go back to it’s old owner’s home, when they’ve become best friends with their new owner.
And plus….Look at this….OutlawQueen Hood-Mills Family Needs To happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If you go as far as you can see...you will then see enough to go even further." - Finn BalorNovember 7, 2014 at 6:59 pm #289412FelieParticipant
I like how the DQ is all
“Oh no!!! Looks like you got me!!!1!1!!”
"so there’s this new show….."
"there’s lesbians in it"November 7, 2014 at 7:03 pm #289414KebParticipant
I’m hoping that they demonstrate that RH’s feelings are a lot more complex than “I can only love ONE PERSON at a time.” And maybe Robin’s not so clear on divorce law, but Regina woke up from her curse with all the knowledge a modern (well, 1980s) politician would need, so she could explain it to him if he didn’t express a desire to stick with his vows.
But while you might only be allowed one true romantic love at a time, not being able to love (or choose to love) anyone else sucks and is kinda dumb. We all know it’s possible to love lots of people, even if it gets super complex to mix romance in with more than one person at a time. The elevation of True Love in this show is sometimes problematic because it doesn’t allow for as much complexity and sets a really difficult standard.
Robin’s moved on. That doesn’t mean he feels NOTHING for Marian but friendship. Heck, they had maybe 2 days together tops before she was popsicled anyway, during which she was navigating a world she had no exposure to, getting to know a child she’d been ripped away from when he was an infant who is now an impossibly cute 5 year old, and reuniting with a man who somehow put her in danger (that hasn’t come up in this discussion yet, but he blames himself for her death–it’s possible she was protecting him and Roland as well as Snow by defying her queen) whom, the last time she saw him, loved her madly and truly.
And if Robin were ONLY going back to Marian because of his code, if he had no reason left to love her, then yeah, maybe divorce would be fine. But emotional distance due to believing she was dead for all those years is not the same as not having any feelings for her. He’s distraught because he DOES love both of them, and that’s a far more interesting story than “I’d be better off if she were dead, like you made her in the original timeline.”
No relationship should ever rest on “We’d be fine if X were only dead.” That’s part of why it’s hard for some of us to accept CS (on the belief that Neal was killed to clear the way for it). That’s the bit that rubs me the worst about OQ. And Marian’s not just “the other woman” in the relationship (never mind that she’s the first, and his wife, while Regina and RH have been together like a week)…she’s the mother of RH’s son. That should require quadruple reason beyond “I just don’t love you enough” for a divorce. (Not saying it’s never appropriate–just that when there’s a child involved, divorce SHOULD be a last resort even when it might not be for a childless couple, because it affects more than just them.) Robin Hood hasn’t given a single reason for wanting to leave Marian other than that he likes Regina. Big deal. Marriage and parenthood are about a LOT more than just love/emotions, though love definitely matters. And love is something that can be built, with decent foundations; he and Marian had them once, and they could rebuild.
Keeper of Belle's Gold magic, sand dollar, cloaks, purple FTL outfit, spell scroll, library key, copy of Romeo and Juliet, and cry-muffling pillow, Rumple's doll, overcoat, and strength, and The Timeline. My spreadsheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6r8CySCCWd9R0RUNm4xR3RhMEU/view?usp=sharingNovember 8, 2014 at 5:11 am #289444OnyxParticipant
Ooh look at Emma in action again. That’s good. That’s very good. Cause I really didn’t like her standing by, while everyone else saved the day in 3b.
Co-Mayor of Sad Town | Twin of Co-Mayor of Sad Town
The topic ‘407: Sneak Peeks (1 and 2)’ is closed to new replies.