October 4, 2013 at 1:59 am #213837PheeParticipant
I can’t wait for all of this!!!! I know it’s a Snowing ep, but all the Rumple-y stuff is what I’m looking forward to the most.[adrotate group="5"]October 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm #213913SlurpeezParticipant
She teases that Rumple had been in Neverland before, and that it’s likely he was there as a boy. She adds that Rumple was touched by magic prior to becoming the Dark One, which she heavily implies comes from her knowledge of what happens in this episode.
This is interesting! Pre-Dark Rumple was touched by magic long before he was cursed. This sounds like what the BF said to Bae in “The Return.” She said, “You’re not untouched by magic are you? There’s something dark in your life.” On the one hand, the BF was obviously speaking of Bae’s father being the Dark One, and yet, it’s quite interesting to note that Bae was touched by magic, which are the same words Barbara used to describe Rumple before he became cursed. Also in the 2×21 official podcast, Adam and Eddy said that when Bae went trough the bean portal, magic followed him! I think this means that the shadow has been following Rumple before he became the dark one, and that the Shadow then followed Bae specficially. We know that the Shadow also started showing up at the Darlings at the same time that Bae did. So, the Shadow specifically wanted Bae to come to NL, probably because he or “it” somehow sensed that Henry would come from Rumple’s, and thus, Bae’s family line. PP, or the Shadow, must have known the prophesy that Henry would be Rumple’s undoing.
Also, I wonder if “being touched by magic” somehow makes Bae and Henry magical too. Neal used a magical object, yes, but he also had to think of an emotion to make it work, which is to say he conjured magic (which is what Rumple taught Emma to do in “The Miller’s Daughter”). Also, Henry being the Truest Believer (as well as Emma’s son) is what could make him magical, since it was his belief which activated the pixie dust. Also, putting the whole issues of genetics aside for a moment, Henry was raised by Regina who is magical. Henry has been touched by magic since his birth when the lights flickered in the hospital.
"That’s how you know you’ve really got a home. When you leave it, there’s this feeling that you can’t shake. You just miss it." Neal CassidyOctober 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm #213915PheeParticipant
The way Barbara spoke about Rumple having been touched by magic before, and she wondered how his previous experience with NL had formed the person he was pre-Dark One…made it sound to me like we’re gonna get a reveal in 302 that he was in NL as a child.October 4, 2013 at 12:43 pm #213918RumplesGirlKeymaster
made it sound to me like we’re gonna get a reveal in 302 that he was in NL as a child.
Agreed. It seems heavily implied that Rumple had first hand knowledge of NL as a boy."He was a lot of things to me" "The only conclusion was love"October 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm #213923HappyEndingsSpectator
I hope he wasn’t a lost boy this would be too much for me good grief they should just rename the show the Rumpelstiltskin’s story instead of Once Upon a time because he has been every where and involved with everyone it is surprising how anyone lived without him before.
Plus I am sure we won’t see how he gets to NL and back so we will get more pot hole questions or another Rumple story, the one man show – Rumble (Lost Boy, Crocodile, Mr. Gold, Rumpelstiltskin, the Dark One) you don’t need to hire any other characters since we have Rumple.October 4, 2013 at 2:10 pm #213932SlurpeezParticipant
I finally finished listening to Barbara Barnett’s podcast. She made a few additional points, which were good.
- Season 3 is really a season where each character must decide who he or she really is on the inside. All the main characters in NL must confront their pasts in order to move forward and to save Henry. Each is on a journey of self-discovery. It’s like what Rumple said to Emma that they need to find the ability to believe in themselves in order for them to understand their own destinies.
- Snow and Charming’s eternal optimism won’t get them very far in Neverland. They needs a dose of Emma’s cynicism. Their story so far in Neverland isn’t as interesting as everyone else’s, at least so far.
- Emma is back to her cynical self. Yet, she needs to come to believe enough in magic, herself and her parents in order to make it through the maze that is Neverland.
- Hook as a character is being revamped as a hero-figure in S3 to make him more appealing and possibly to set up a serious love triangle when Neal returns to NL. But he needs to tone down his language, since he sounds like a “sexist pig” according to Barbara.
- Rumple, Neal and Emma are all on similar journeys. For Emma, it’s about belief in herself and belief in her parents. She was an abandoned child who gave up her own son, Henry. Rumple is an abandoned child, too, who gave up his son. Both Neal and Henry are abandoned children. Emma, Neal, and Rumple are all on a mission to break this cycle of abandonment. All three want to overcome that past, by finding out who they truly are and that they should’t be defined by their abandonment in order to save Henry.
- Rumple is the only one who feels like he won’t survive. But does the prophesy mean that he will be undone as in his death or in another way? Rumple puts on a bravado and goes off alone to save Henry. What is he trying to prove? He wants to prove to himself that he can do the brave thing. But what would happen if his bravado was shown to be a paper tiger and his facade came tumbling down in front of the group? He really does want to be a hero, but he must overcome his belief that he’s a coward. He is frightened of Peter Pan, and Rumple will be tempted to let Henry die. It’s going to be an uphill battle. He thinks of himself as a coward just as Emma thinks of herself as a cynic. They’re both on self-journeys.
- Barbara says that the time he spent in Neverland before becoming the Dark One were some of the worst days of his life. That is why Rumple is off his game now that he is in NL and sobbing like a small child. Barbara says that when Rumple does find out Neal is actually alive, he’s going to have to try even harder to confront his past to overcome his mistakes and to show Neal he really can be brave.
- If Rumple being undone means his curse is broken, how will he adjust to no longer being the Dark One? Yet, Rumple knows magic since he taught Regina and Cora, who aren’t inherently magical, how to do magic. Just because he’s no longer the Dark One doesn’t mean he wouldn’t still have magic. The only way to kill the Dark One is to kill him with the dagger….This seems to be a bit of a spoiler where Barbara stopped and wouldn’t proceed.
- Peter Pan is a fantastic character played by a talented actor. What could be Peter’s motivation? Could he possible want to grow up and leave the island? Could Rumple’s dark powers from Neverland? Also, could Henry’s book come from Neverland since imagination comes from NL? (This is pure speculation at this point).
- There are a lot of Emma and Snow White parallels in 3×2: Emma must come to terms with her true identity as a born-leader just as Snow must come to terms with her role as a ruler. Charming has a great scene with Rumple in the flashback to the EF. Barbara liked 3×2 even more than 3×1.
"That’s how you know you’ve really got a home. When you leave it, there’s this feeling that you can’t shake. You just miss it." Neal CassidyOctober 4, 2013 at 2:16 pm #213935RumplesGirlKeymaster
He really does want to be a hero, but he must overcome his belief that he’s a coward. He is frightened of Peter Pan, and Rumple will be tempted to let Henry die. It’s going to be an uphill battle. He thinks of himself as a coward just as Emma thinks of herself as a cynic. They’re both on self-journeys.
Well that just hit a lot of my feelings
Barbara says that the time he spent in Neverland before becoming the Dark One were some of the worst days of his life.
There ya go, Lost Boy
Yet, Rumple knows magic since he taught Regina and Cora, who aren’t inherently magical, how to do magic. Just because he’s no longer the Dark One doesn’t mean he wouldn’t still have magic. The only way to kill the Dark One is to kill him with the dagger….This seems to be a bit of a spoiler where Barbara stopped and wouldn’t proceed.
Holy Smokes, we may be right. Undoing means breaking his curse."He was a lot of things to me" "The only conclusion was love"
The topic ‘Barbara Barnett teases 302’ is closed to new replies.