Home › Forums › Once Upon a Time › General discussion and theories › *August is not Pinocchio theory
- This topic has 80 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 11 months ago by obisgirl.
April 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm #141208lyn990Participant
I hope August is Bae as well! There doesn’t seem to be enough pointing towards Pinocchio…I feel certain that the fairies are involved, no matter what the solution is. One thing I do know: the writers’ have nixed the idea of August being a grown up Henry, which is great cause that would be wierd. They also said that they wouldn’t discuss the book’s author until season 2, so I don’t think it’s august…[adrotate group="5"]April 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm #141215PheeParticipant
– I think the writers once said they love Star Wars. That might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think they did say that.
Even if they haven’t specifically stated it, it’s safe to assume given their age that they grew up loving Star Wars. 😉 There are certainly parallels between Rumple and Anakin.
It wouldn’t surprise me if it turns out that August was the one who brought baby Henry to Storybrooke. Thus far, he’s the only person we’ve seen who is able to come into town from outside, (apart from Emma, who obviously didn’t deliver Henry there herself). That could also explain why Regina found him familiar, (if she legitimately did find him familiar). Maybe she got a quick glimpse of him 10 years ago when he was there handing the baby over to Mr Gold?
Was just writing something about this elsewhere and had another thought I wanted to add over here too. If it was August who brought Henry to town, that could potentially explain away the different hair/eye colour problem. If he was 10 years younger, clean shaven and a redhead last time he was in town, his current appearance would make sense, because he would have changed just enough so he wasn’t instantly recognisable. But he’d still be the same person, which could be why Regina feels she’s seen him before.
That explanation would also fit if he were Bae, or anyone else for that matter. As long as Regina recognises him as someone she’s seen in Storybrooke before, as opposed to someone she knew from FTL.April 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm #141218the wizParticipant
When Emma was telling Henry the story about his father, I got the sense that only the ending was made up. When she was talking about him coming into the diner and how he always asked if they had pumpkin pie, she seemed genuinely nostalgic IMO. Then she realised she’d need to fabricate the ending of the story because she didn’t want Henry knowing that his father ended up being a married man who had an affair with Emma then dumped her right after getting her pregnant. So I think Emma would recognise August if he was Henry’s father.
I got that same sense “genuine nostalgia” and “only the ending of her story being fabricated”. I’ve been wrestling with WHY Emma does not recognize August on sight ever since he started acting so fatherly toward Henry. I’ve come up with three theories thus far:
1. Emma has gotten in the face of so many dead-beat dads in her most recent line of work that she no longer remembers the face of the fireman back when she worked as a waitress.
2. Emma has slept around with so many guys the one who got her pregnant is merely “one more notch in her bed post”. August could only stir up some visceral recollections for her if she got in bed with him again. Visual recognition won’t work for her.
3. Emma has a major hot button called “abandonment issues”. It’s human nature to go blank and dissociate any encounter that pushes our hot buttons. August’s abandonment of Emma and her baby would have been so painful that she would have blotted it out of her mind to restore her composure.
I like my 3rd theory much more than the other two. Emma’s abandonment issues have been worked in other episodes making them seem more central to the character arcs and plot movement.April 7, 2012 at 4:28 pm #141232lissyParticipant
I hope August is Bae simply because I want more scenes with Rumple and his son! Hey, if August is able to summon Mr. Gold, does this mean people can use magic is story brooke? (Besides for Emma, who has brought in her magic by moving time, and making magic portal hats)April 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm #141244celesstarrParticipant
– The next episode is called The Return. Return of the Jedi?
–From the promo photos we know that Bae and Rumple will have scenes together that take place after Rumple becomes The Dark One. Therefor August/Bae returns, surely to try save his father. Hence the title The Return.
I am trying not to hope too much that August is Bae. I hope he is, but I don’t want to be disapointed if/when is doesn’t happen. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens next. There are several good theories out there, so who knows what’s true?
Wow! That comparison is really cool. I mean, I would never think to compare Anakin/Luke to Rumpel/Bae..but it makes perfect sense! In the upcoming episode, August may be confronting Mr. Gold to reveal to him the fact that he is his long lost son and show him that it is not too late to choose good over evil. Just like Luke, at the very end of ROTJ was able to get DV to turn “good”(even if for a few moments) before he died. Thanks for the amazing insight!!April 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm #141246midnight drearyParticipant
I hope August is Bae simply because I want more scenes with Rumple and his son! Hey, if August is able to summon Mr. Gold, does this mean people can use magic is story brooke? (Besides for Emma, who has brought in her magic by moving time, and making magic portal hats)
ME TOO!!! 😆 😆 😆 Wow, we’re really 😳 selfish!
I just think having Bae in the picture would create a lot of great character development for Mr. Gold.April 7, 2012 at 9:33 pm #141248beauty the beastParticipant
I would love to see Mr. Gold reunited with his son. I think that’s why so many people want August to be Baelfire. But if he isn’t Baelfire, I’ll try not to be too upset. I trust the writers.April 7, 2012 at 11:38 pm #141256angiebelleParticipant
Take a look at this spoiler episode synopsis I found-
I am thinking my theory was spot on.
Why would Henry’s father know anything about the book being real? I got the impression that Henry’s father was not a good person. Emma didn’t want to tell the truth about him because she was ashamed and didn’t want Henry to be as well….that’s why she made up the story.April 7, 2012 at 11:42 pm #141257jondavidcarrollParticipant
I’ve got it. August is Peter Pan.
I’ve done very intensive research before this post and although I changed my mind four times now, I’m feeling good about this one. My other theories are Chip (the teacup from Beauty and the Beast), Henry’s dad, or Simpleton from The Golden Goose (a story from the book Once Upon a Time: A Collection of Classic Fairy Tales with the preface being written by the writers of OUAT. I’ve also thought he was a donkey because of Pinocchio, Shrek (Ogre Wars? Idk), and the fact that a donkey is mentioned quite a bit in that book (previously mentioned) and he makes deals with a landlord……sound familiar?
WHY PETER PAN
1. First, go to episode 15, Red-Handed, and fast forward 2 minutes in (02:00). Ruby is talking to August about how he's always on the move. He says, “Plus I had my motorcycle so if I didn't like a place after a while… [makes noise and hand gesture] which looks like a FLYING hand gesture if you ask me. See for yourself >> http://vimeo.com/39948165
2. I DO, however, still think August he’s Bae, as well. After Rumps turned into the dark one, Bae runs into a fairy–Tinkerbell–who tells him about Never Never Land, where he never has to grow up, never fight in Ogre wars, no rules, no parents; freedom. So Tink takes Bae to NeverLand (NL from here on out) which is why Rumps despises “nuns” or fairies and they go through Mad Hatters Hat. One of those many doors leads to NL. This is why Rumps refers to his son as “Lost”. He’s one of the Lost Boys. (Peter Pan was considered a Lost Boy, right?)
3. Peter Pan didn’t have a mother. Neither does Bae.
4. August’s leg injury thing, “shin splints”, happened because he was so used to flying that it’s difficult on his legs sometimes.
5. The title “The Return” is referring to Bae returning to FTL from NL.
6. If Regina saw Bae as a boy in FTL (which I don’t think she has done..yet) then she wouldn’t recognize him as an adult but might look “familiar”.
So why is August in Storybrooke?
Once Emma arrived, that allowed Mad Hatter to leave his house that he’d been trapped in for 28 years. Well it also allowed August, wherever he was, to be free and come into Storybrooke (or out of his house in Storybrooke). I don’t think August and Mr. Gold have had scenes together yet, but at some point one approached the other and they made an agreement…
Mr. Gold and August made a deal in SB. Mr. Gold (whom I think is the official “author” of the book) wants Emma to believe (in my opinion) so that she can break the curse. So he asks August to add pages, become pals with Henry, and slowly but surely help Emma gain faith. The basement or cellar he was in when adding the pages was probably Mr. Gold's.
August, like father like son, has his own agenda that he is keeping from Mr. Gold. August states, “That is why I'm here. I'm here for Emma.” to Henry at Granny’s. (Heart of Darkness, 14:00). This kid (Peter Pan/Bae/August) hasn’t had a mother and being in FTL and then NL without a mother might be hard for him. SO (like the story) August is “return”ing to SB to find a mother–which he wants to be Emma.
The pictures that were posted showed Rumple and Bae shaking hands as if they had just made an agreement. We also see the dagger being shown to Bae. I think he was just telling Bae “Hey son, if I go too crazy with this Dark One stuff, all you have to do is kill me with this dagger.” OR “If you can find someone to kill me with this, everything will go back to the way it was and we can be happy.” (The latter one would explain why Bae is smiling while shaking hands with his old man.)
I have a lot off references for why I think/thought August is Chip and/or Henry’s dad. I do not want him to be Bae and only Bae. (I don’t want him to be Bae at all, but if he has to be, then give him another character too.) I’ll post those in a new thread 🙂April 8, 2012 at 12:30 am #141262lissyParticipant
ME TOO!!! Wow, we’re really selfish!
Haha yes, yes we are 😉
WOW jondavidcarroll thank you for all that great info!
The topic ‘*August is not Pinocchio theory’ is closed to new replies.